Pages

Sunday 29 April 2012

Make yr own planner

When I get an idea in my head, a very specific idea, it's hard for me to settle for anything less even when what I'm thinking of doesn't actually exist! This is especially the case when it comes to planning and being organised. This year I just could not find the perfect diary, and I looked everywhere. In the past I've made my own, either from ready bought notebooks or made from scratch and coptic bound. This time I wanted spiral binding, and then I realised after talking to friends about binding their dissertations that I could get this done at Staples! Why didn't I think of it before?


I spent ages and ages playing around with layouts in gimp, but in the end I knocked something up in Word that worked just as well. I printed the pages at work (on a colour laser printer) just one sided so I would have the back of the page for notes. I listed the months across the top of each page and left empty boxes for the dates, so I could write them in myself. Then took the whole lot to Staples. It was under £4 in all, for the binding plus a clear plastic cover.


If you want to try making one for yourself, I'd recommend using thick card stock for the outer covers in addition to the clear plastic, or at least a thick piece of card at the back for support. Mine is quite flimsy with only thin card and the plastic covers are very thin - kind of like OHP transparencies.

What's your perfect planner?

Bettie xo

6 comments:

  1. oh this is such a great idea! and would be perfect for me as i'm useless as keeping a regular planner.
    what size is it in? i wonder if staples does spiral binding for A5 or A6 things too?

    xx tukru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, they can do any size. This is somewhere between. A6 and A5. :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use a Moleskine 12 month diary in red, I love it because the days are down the left hand side and the right is lined for notes and lists - I constantly have a list, pictures, stickers, etc. Plus there's tons of space at the back for random crap (in my case book and film lists)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use a Moleskine too. Maybe I'll go back to them next year, so I can look all professional and that. I like the softcover ones though, and I think they only come in black? x

      Delete
  4. This is a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete